Friday, September 16, 2005

7. Risk. We are heading down to Jackson MS today to partner with the Meadowbrook Church of Christ in the relief effort. We possibly will be going to the coast on Saturday to do some chainsawing and some brush clearing. As I planned this trip, I had images of us being robbed at gun point for gas, running out of gas on the highway, and even being killed by an angry victim of the hurricane. No.....I am not paranoid. I have just heard quite a few stories since the relief effort has started.

Risk.

I could not help but make the analogy to the mission of God. Taking risks is part of what walking with Jesus is all about. The parable of the talents in Matthew 25 is all about risk. In fact, it seems to me that Jesus wants us to take risks. This is why he could not stomach the 1 talent man who safely hid the talent in a sheltered environment. Could the Kingdom of God be about risk? Could it be that God is looking for some people to make wise, faith-filled endeavors whose success is not clearly guaranteed?

this church plant is going to be a risk. I can not tell you how many times the enemy has approached me with thoughts of inadequacy, fear of failure, worries of financial support. Church planting is not safe. As one of mentors, David Noles says, God is Good, but He is definitely not Safe. To walk with God is to be on the edge. Vulnerable.

The irony of it all is, if I trade in my security for his calling, I find new a freedom. Not freedom from risk, but freedom to enjoy the adventure of living a life sold out for God. No more of that "little living." It is time for us to take a risk.

"Whoever puts their trust in him, will never be put to shame." Peter

No comments: